Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Social Suicide

Today I had an interesting conversation with one of my good gal pals about dating 'mr. society doesnt think he's right' (basically). And it made me wonder how many people are dating or even married someone because of what everybody else (ie friends, family, co-workers, society) thought of him.

Your mama: ooo..he is so handsome, he got a degree...and no baby mama drama
Your friends: I like him..he cute too...is he good in bed girl?...ya'll gone have some pretty kids
Your co-workers: You two make a nice couple
Society: He got a big dick, direct deposit, look a lil like Boris...and did I say direct deposit

Add that in with 'I can spend more than 5 hours with him without drama'..and BAM.. you plan your future with him.

Now bring that down to a smaller scale...saaaayyy. The AUC. You have some of the brightest African American students put together in this petri dish. Everyone trying to be important in their own little way....by being greek, the life of EVERY party, the clothes horse, the jock, SGA...and so on. Everybody is basically trying to make a name for themselves in one way or the other. So when it comes to the dating page of the book it gets very bizarre (in some cases). Who you chose to date/make your girlfriend is a reflection of you in some way or another. And sometimes its something more further that what meets the eye.

I have been one to deal with guys that are odd balls. I like odd balls. LOL...the paranoid joke-telling drug dealer, the madonna-whore complex brother, the obsessed stalker, the true scorpio (trust me...that is a type all by its self), the habitual liar (lol), the mentally retarded star quarterback, the guy who was scared of girls....i mean...come on now.

I digress...

The point i guess im trying to make is ..what happen to 'love is blind'. What happen to I love him because his heart is big, not his bank account is big? Maybe i've been drinking too much of the 'beloved community' juice.

I dont know....now my thoughts are shifting everywhere. So im gonna stop right here

1 Comments:

Blogger enigma said...

okay....so can you blog for my personal enjoyment?

9:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home